How to Hire a Garage Door Contractor near Windham Connecticut
When you need to find a garage door repair service near Windham CT, it is often an emergency situation. After all, we live in a society that is dependent on our automobiles. Perhaps you pushed the button on your remote control and the door didn’t open, so now you are stuck. And of course it always happens when you are in a hurry to go somewhere. You just put a new battery in, so that’s not the problem. After doing some basic troubleshooting, you realize that you need a professional to solve the problem. But how do you choose a company that is not only experienced but will provide an exceptional service at a reasonable price? A residential garage door contractor may be a small shop or part of a larger home improvement company. In addition to being skilled at replacing garage doors, openers and torsion springs, there are a few additional qualifications the service you choose should have as well. So let’s review them in more detail and learn how to hire the best garage door opener repair service for your job.
Garage Door Installation and Repair
Having your garage door or opener repaired or replaced are jobs that you want done properly. They are typically not jobs that you would entrust to a local handyman or a so called Mister Fix-it. Professional garage door technicians have both the expertise and the equipment to get your job done right. They obtain specialized training to handle the most complex repairs and installations. And depending on your State of residence, many of the services performed by a garage door repair firm in Windham CT may require special licensing, so be sure to check for the proper credentials. Some of the repair, replacement and installation services offered by a garage door repairman may include:
- Garage Door Installation, Repair or Replace
- Broken Hinges Repair or Replace
- Commercial Overhead Doors Install or Replace
- Roll Up Garage Doors Install or Replace
- Opener and Remote Installation or Repair
- Panel Replacement or Repair
- Rolling Grille Install or Replace
- Torsion Spring Replacement
- Weather Stripping and Insulation Replacement
- Locks and Keypads Installation
Choosing A Garage Door Service
Not every Windham CT garage door contractor in your area has the same level of expertise or experience. Skills and quality control can vary from repairman to repairman. Therefor it is extremely important that you take the time to find a highly trained and seasoned professional and not just pick the first one listed in the phone book. Make sure that the garage door repair professional understands the work that you want done first to ensure that you are hiring the right person. Also let them know the quality of the work and materials that you expect so that there are no misunderstandings when the job is completed. Following are some additional areas to review before making a final decision.
- Obtain references, referrals or recommendations. One of the best ways to find a reputable and skilled Windham CT garage door repair service is to ask for a referral from friends or family, or from a service that screens local garage door repair specialists in your area. When you speak with a representative of the service, ask for at least three references that you can speak with. Ask the previous customers how prompt and courteous the contractor was in performing the job. Did the final bill come in at the quoted price and was the customer satisfied with the quality of the work performed.
- Obtain estimates. Once you have narrowed it down to 2 or 3 local Windham CT garage door repairmen, make sure that you receive estimates for the work to be performed. Compare the estimates to make sure that each is quoting based on the same job description. Make sure that any peripheral work needed is included in the estimate, such as hauling away the old garage door. A garage door referral service will put you in contact with several pre-screened contractors that will be happy to provide a quote either by phone as well as email.
- Get the contract or job order in writing. Once you have made your final decision and are ready to hire a garage door repair company in Windham CT, have them draw up a written contract for your review. For smaller jobs, such as replacing the garage door torsion springs, it may just be a basic job order showing the cost to replace the springs. For more complex jobs, such as installing a complete new garage door system, a contract detailing the cost, items included, start and completion dates, as well as warranty and insurance information are a must. A deposit and payment schedule should also be established up front in writing so that there are no misunderstandings when the job begins.
A Bit About Windham Connecticut
Windham is a town in Windham County, Connecticut, United States. It contains the borough of Willimantic as well as the villages of Windham Center, North Windham, and South Windham. Willimantic, an incorporated city since 1893, was consolidated with the town in 1983. The population was 25,268 at the 2010 census.
The town of Windham was incorporated on May 12, 1692. Mohican Sachem Chief Joshua willed the land to sixteen men, most of whom resided in Norwich. The land called Windham consisted of what is now the towns of Windham (which includes Willimantic), Mansfield, Scotland, Chaplin, and Hampton.
The town was named after Wyndham, England. On December 4, 1700, Windham’s first Minister, Reverend Samuel Whiting, was ordained. The church was a Congregational Church, stemming from the Puritans. The first church building was erected shortly after on the Windham Green. Early settlers were farmers who grew crops such as wheat, rye, corn, barley, flax, and hemp, as-well-as raising livestock. Early industry in Windham consisted of sawmills, gristmills, and blacksmith’s shops taking advantage of the water power from streams and rivers. In 1823 Windham, along with Lebanon, Columbia, Chaplin, and Mansfield petitioned the General Assembly to become their own county. Tolland County, the last county formed in Connecticut, had just been formed a few years earlier, taking towns away from Hartford and Windham counties. The town of Windham was no longer the center of Windham County. The courts and other government offices had been moved to Brooklyn which was more centralized and easier to travel to. All transportation was difficult due to the poor quality of the roads. The General Assembly denied the petition. One year later, Lebanon petitioned the General Assembly to be returned to New London County, which they had originally been part of before the creation of Windham County. The General Assembly granted their petition. That same year, Mansfield and Columbia petitioned the General Assembly to join Tolland County. The General Assembly denied both petitions. Mansfield tried again in 1826, and Columbia tried again in 1827. This time the General Assembly granted both towns their petitions.
The town of Windham is made up of four parts: North Windham, Windham Center, South Windham, and Willimantic. As with many towns with abundant river water-power, mills are a very large part of the history of the town. The mills sprang up around the Willimantic River in the borough of Willimantic, while Windham remained a farming community. North and South Windham had limited industry. The populated area of the town in the colonial period was Windham Center. When the industrial revolution came to the United States, the mills grew and Willimantic became the more populated area. In 1877 The Willimantic Enterprise newspaper started serving the citizens of Windham and surrounding towns. The newspaper grew, and became the Willimantic Chronicle, and later The Chronicle. The newspaper has been published by the same family for five generations. In 1889 the Willimantic State Normal School opened its doors. (A “normal school” was a school of higher education which women went to after High School to become teachers.) The course of study was two years long. Women signed a contract stating they would only teach in Connecticut and received free tuition and books. Room and board was $3.50 a week. The school became Willimantic State College in 1959, and in 1967 Eastern Connecticut State College. Then in 1983 the college received university status and afterwards became part of the state university system as Eastern Connecticut State University.
Hire the Right Windham Garage Door Repair Company
Well, there you have it. Finding and hiring the right garage door repair contractor in Windham CT is easier than you thought. And you can start the process by requesting your free quotes now. There is no obligation to receive free proposals from some of the top licensed garage door repair persons servicing your area. Garage door installation experts are standing by waiting to compete for your business. So what are you waiting for? Request your free quotes and find the right professional at the right price now!